Decades ago, it was discovered that injecting Botox is an effective way to relax
overactive muscles. Botox injections contain botulinum toxin type-A. The
botulinum toxin is a type of toxin that is derived from the Clostridium
botulinum bacterium. The two types of botulinum toxins are categorized into type A and type B.
Botox injections containing diluted botulinum toxin are administered to a
target area or neuromuscular tissue. It then works its way to the nerve cells
where it breaks down synaptosomal proteins to prevent acetylcholine from
being released. Acetylcholine is a neurotransmitter that stimulates muscle
contractions. Once acetylcholine is prevented from being released, the contracting muscles relax.
During a Botox treatment, a professional will assess and determine which
muscles will need the injections. Before administering the Botox injection
directly to the target area, anesthesia is administered. Just like any other
injection, Botox injections can sting only slightly. With anesthesia, it can
lessen the pain and ease discomfort. The Botox is then injected with the use of thin syringes into the identified muscles.
The treatment will only take 10-15 minutes and will require you to have
additional visits for follow-up. Botox injections usually last around 3-6 months
depending on the dosage. The medical practitioner will also advise you on
what to expect after every Botox treatment, and how to care for the injected area.
Benefits of Botox Injections
- Getting a botulinum toxin injection or Botox injection has its advantages. It is
a medical procedure and at the same time a cosmetic substance that provides
- favorable results when administered properly.
Administering Botox injections by a professional are proven safe
- Botox injections do not require surgery
- Botox injections produce quick results
- Botox injections can help shape your eyebrows and lessen the droopiness of
- Botox injections are used to treat health conditions caused by overactive
muscle movements such as post-stroke spasticity, post-spinal cord injury
spasticity, cervical dystonia, head spasms, eyelid spasms, and facial spasms
- Botox injections can be used to help muscles relax and are a common
treatment for bruxism or excessive jaw clenching
- Botox injections can be given to reduce neuropathic pain
- Botox injections are non-evasive cosmetic treatment
- Botox injections do not result in scarring
- Botox injections can temporarily remove the lines appearing on your face as
you age and is best known for reducing facial wrinkles, forehead lines,
crow’s feet, frown lines, and bunny lines
- Botox injections reduce excessive body sweating commonly experienced in
the underarms and are a treatment for those suffering from Hyperhidrosis
- Botox injections can be used to treat a chronic headache or a migraine
- Botox injections can be used for eye disorder treatments such as strabismus
and, can correct horizontally misaligned eyes
How Much Do Botox Injection Cost?